May 31, 2017
This is to announce the Election Process 2017 for the leadership positions of Multi-Stakeholder Steering Group (MSG).
Current leader that has served for 2 terms and is concluding after APrIGF Bangkok 2017:
Chair: Mr. Paul Wilson, APNIC (Technical) (2015-2017)
Current leader that has served for 1 term and is concluding after APrIGF Bangkok 2017:
Vice Chair: Mr. Arun Sukumar, Observer Research Foundation (Civil Society) (2015-2017)
- Chair of MSG (2017 – 2019)
- Vice Chair of MSG (2017 - 2019)
According to the Election Procedure, a call for Election Committee has been opened from 8 May (Mon) - 22 May (Mon) 2017. With consensus among the MSG, below are the final members of Election Committee 2017
- Ms. Cheryl Langdon-Orr, Australia (Civil Society)
- Mr. Fouad Bawja, Pakistan (Civil Society)
- Mr. Shibendu Debbarma, India (Academia)
2017 Election Timeline
|Wed 24 May||Appointment of the Election Committee|
|Wed 31 May||Announce the ELECTION PROCESS|
|Fri 2 Jun||OPENING DATE for accepting NOMINATIONS for election candidates|
|Fri 23 Jun||CLOSING DATE for accepting nominations|
|Thu 29 Jun||Publication of the SHORTLISTED CANDIDATES with their bios|
|Fri 7 Jul||Announcement online and notification to ACTIVE MSG VOTING MEMBERS of their eligibility to vote (as per Guideline 11.1)|
|Wed 12 Jul||Interactive Q&A Session with Candidates in MSG Bi-weekly Meeting|
|Thu 29 Jun - Mon 24 Jul||Online Q&A platform Open|
|Mon 17 Jul||Opening date of elections|
|Mon 24 Jul||Closing date of elections|
|By Wed 26 Jul||Announcement of the Final Election Result & Publication on the APrIGF website|
Eligibility of Candidates
Candidates for leadership (Chair or Vice-Chairs) in any election year are open to every MSG member as well as non- MSG members. However, it is desirable that all candidates possess the following qualification.
- Must work and reside in the Asia-Pacific region.
- Represent one of the listed stakeholders in section 4.0 but not limited to the list.
- Volunteers who have been active in the APrIGF activities and the Internet Governance space.
- MSG members with leadership potential and demonstrated long term commitment to the MSG's goals
- In the event of conflict of interest, MSG must declare his/her status at the earliest to the MSG Chair and the Committee as an act of good faith.
Term of office
- All leadership position will not exceed two consecutive terms (or four years duration).
- Returning leaders may choose to run for election again after one cycle (or two years) has elapsed since the last date of tenure (most recent ending term date) confirmed by the Secretariat.
Nominations of candidates can be made by submitting the names, organisation, stakeholder group, a short bio and the email address of the nominee to email@example.com before the nomination period closes. Self-nominations will also be accepted. Nominees will be informed by the Election Committee and invited to accept their candidacies.
More information about the Operating Principles and Election Procedure of APrIGF MSG, please visit https://aprigf.asia/msg.html.
Thank you very much.
Secretariat of APrIGF